These standards are in place to keep everyone safe and healthy.
1. Keep nails very short with no edge (both finger and toe nails)
2. Students are required to wear an athletic shirt under their gi and gi's must be washed prior to being used again.
3. Gi pants are not allowed for No Gi training.
4. Be punctual. Please try to arrive at least 10 minutes prior to class start time.
5. Please refrain from talking when the instructor is teaching.
6. Review and understand the prohibited techniques at each belt level for sparring posted on the wall.
7. If you are late for class, please wait off the mat until the instructor invites you to join class.
8. Keep the mats clean: No shoes, sandals or socks on the mat. Use sandals when stepping into the washroom.
9. Manage your ego: The gym is not a testing ground for you to prove yourself; it is a place of learning.
10. Sparring. When starting and ending a match, it is important to shake your opponents hand as a sign of mutual respect.
11. Sparring is not a fight. Competitiveness is encouraged, excessive or reckless force is not tolerated here.
12. Protect your partner. Understand you are responsible for your partners safety.
No need to get a fast, quick tap. If you apply a submission and your partner does not tap, let it go and move on.
12. Protect yourself and tap. Most student injuries are the cause of ones own doing.
Injuries are usually caused by sparring too hard, not tapping to submissions, using improper technique, forcing movements and/or not thinking before moving. Tap early, stay calm, learn, and ask questions of your instructors if you don't know the answers.
You are here to learn and we are here to help.
12. Use time efficiently. Drill the techniques as much as you can within the time provided.
13. Greet the team. When stepping onto the mats, greet your team mates with a hand shake.
13. Have FUN and be PLAYFUL: Learn, play, enjoy and take advantage of the great community we have. We are all here to have a good time and better ourselves.